Celebrating Local Destinations this Heritage Month: Garden Route
South Africans are encouraged to celebrate their culture and the diversity this Heritage month and what better way to celebrate than to travel to iconic South African destinations. The Garden Route is as iconic as they come and has so much heritage and cultural significance within South Africa that you just have to experience it at least once in your lifetime,
Road Tripping the Garden Route
For Capetonians wishing to experience an epic road trip then the Garden Route is a must try! This iconic road trip remains an all-time classic with 300 km of stunning scenery that meanders through a beautiful part of South Africa. The road, which runs from Cape Town (it ‘officially’ starts at Mossel Bay) to Port Elizabeth, is peppered with vineyards, wildlife and nature parks, charming little towns and some beautiful beaches.
Towns to consider along the Garden Route
- Mossel Bay – The Official start of the Garden Route, grab a coffee and start your journey!
- Knysna – Visit their beautiful Waterfront
- Plettenberg Bay – Incredible Beaches (Look out for the Plett Rage Student Festival in early December)
- George – Visit historical buildings in George (aka the shopping mecca of the Garden Route)
- Wilderness – Go paragliding
- Sedgefield – Go for a long Beach walk with your partner
End up in Port Elizabeth
It would take you around just over 8 hours to drive to Port Elizabeth but factoring in all the amazing stops along the way this can definitely take much longer.
We went as a family all the way to Port Elizabeth and the one thing to remember is to plan stops along the way for “stretch breaks”. If you are driving with kids it’s important to keep them entertained.
Some Road Trip tips to consider:
- Pack in tablets, smart phones, WIFI and chargers
- Have a cooler box packed with drinks and snacks
- Notepads for drawing and colouring is also great
- Pack your vehicle with pillows and blankets for those long road naps.
What to do in Port Elizabeth?
- Donkin Reserve
- The Campanile
- Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
- Addo Elephant Park
- Route 67
For the kids, day outings to the beach is great as well as trips to the Bayworld which has really awesome Dinosaur Exhibition.
Tip: Purchase a Nelson Mandela Bay Pass